Reflections of the Earth

Reflections of the Earth
In a field in the outskirts of Rome

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Second Magen David Adom Shift

I finally got on to a second shift with Magen David Adom (MDA). Let me tell you, it has been extremely frustrating and at times I have just wanted to throw out the white flag of surrender, but fear not, I have continued to pursue my goal and have succeeded. We had three calls and I ended up working with two other volunteers from Canada and a regular MDA medic. It was a long day filled with some frustration, embarassment, and fun...or at least fun for me...it didn't seem like it for the other two volunteers. A word for the wise, if you decide you want to volunteer with MDA either through a program (I highly suggest this approach) or alone (what I did), keep in mind that while you are on an ambulance in Israel and trained to handle situations like a US first responder, you are not always respected. You will most likely be talked down too, isolated from the rest of the regular crowd,  be yelled at for not understanding, and even while doing a good job feel like you aren't. I know it sounds depressing, but this is the impression I got from the volunteers I saw today, they all seemed pretty happy to be done with the work. After two shifts, I can see why they would be frustrated. Israelis are like cactuses (sabras), they are prickly on the outside, yet soft on the inside...its just getting past the pricklers that can be an issue. I succeeded on my first shift to meet people and get the jist of what I needed to do, but this second shift was not quite what I expected. I know, I know, it sounds like I am always frustrated here, and while that is partially true, it isn't always the case. MDA is a great organization that provides excellent care and I don't blame the medics for not wanting to work with volunteers who, for the most part, are not necessarily interested in EMS, are told not to do anything without express concent from the driver, and decide that learning about symptoms and other "non important things" are just not worth the time. However, for those who take advantage of this fantastic opportunity and utilize the skills learned to their full potential, I guarantee this is an adventure that will change your life. It has already made me excited to return to my home EMS in the Boston area to learn even more about EMS. I know for my brother and best friend, MDA was one of their favorite experiences in Israel and enjoyed it! I now join them in that feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment