Reflections of the Earth

Reflections of the Earth
In a field in the outskirts of Rome

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

יום הסטודנטים

A few weeks ago was the big celebration of יום הסטודנטים at the Technion University in Haifa. Students from all Haifa Universities and Colleges came to the Technion for two nights of fun, drinking, and concerts. It is supposed to be a celebration of the students of Israel, giving us an opportunity to blow off some steam, have a good time, and make some new friends. I went with my roommate and his friend. We spent the first hour of this adventure sitting outside of the event drinking the famous Israeli alcohol, Arak and after we were thoroughly "happy" we continued into the celebrations. Besides paying 100 shekels to get in, it was a pretty awesome experience. There were hundreds if not thousands of students from all over. There were hundreds of food and beer stands. There were two big stages, one with a DJ and a dance floor and the other with famous Israeli bands playing. While walking around for the first hour was eye opening and interesting (probably mostly due to the Arak still saturating my system) it eventually became kind of boring, especially because my roommate and his friend were not having a great time. This is understandable though when you consider how expensive the food and beer was inside. While my friends got in for free due to their membership with the Haifa University student union, my 100 shekel entrance fee basically burned a hole in my pocket. We ended up getting some Thai food (was really good by the way) and went home. It wasn't a bad night for me, even though it was a boring and frustrated night for my friends, I have now had the opportunity to see what student life is like in Haifa on a whole new level. Back at Clark events are smaller because it is a small school, so having this many people representing the two major schools of Haifa was incredibly awesome and eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment